Monday, February 1, 2010

My New Friends, Ernesto and Big Joe



Okay so funny story...

Yesterday before church I noticed that my car had a flat tire. My immediate thoughts--UGH. I hate, hate, HATE getting flat tires. They just extremely bug me and I feel like I get them a lot. So, at around 5:20 pm I call Triple A and a kind man named Ernesto comes and begins to change my tire to the spare, but wait, he doesn't have the right tools to do so. Triple A doesn't have the right tools to change a TIRE? Uh, okay. Anyway, so he's explaining to me how the rims on my car are "after market" and they need a special type of socket wrench to take them off. I'm like, okay? I have no idea what he is talking about. So Ernesto says,"Oh let me call Big Joe; I'm pretty sure he has the right wrench." So he calls "Big Joe" on his walkie-talkie and they just start chatting and making jokes and Ernesto will pause in between laughs and say to me, "Big Joe is such a kidder, I love this guy!" And I'm like, yeah gotta love Big Joe!! No, I'm really like, can you just change my freaking tire? So it turns out "Big Joe" will not be arriving on the scene for another 15 minutes. So this leaves me to make small talk with Ernesto for 15 minutes. I. Hate. Small talk. Especially with someone you don't know! So I ask Ernesto where the best places are to go get my tire looked at. He tells me, "Oh man, well I don't know because I just go to this place where only Latinos go! Because you know they will just do anything you want to your car no matter how dangerous or stupid it is!" He then proceeds to tell me about all of his souped-up cars (his words, not mine) that he has and how he put these special kind of tires on them so that he can slide around in the snow more. Why the H would someone want to do that? I don't know, it's weird. Finally, Big Joe arrives and yes, he was a rather large man. I'm practically jumping for joy because I just want this stinking spare put on so that I can go inside! Mind you, it is now about 6:45 pm and FREEZING. So Big Joe whips out his tools and bends over to check out the situation. Yeah, I got a pretty nice shot of Big Joe's crack. NICE. Big Joe tries about three different socket wrenches and then says: "Well I'm sorry little missy, but there is nothing we can do for ya. I don't think anyone has that small a wrench to take these puppies off" I'm just like, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! So they fill up my tire with air and then proceed to pack up all their useless crap and tell me that I have to buy this special socket wrench and an adapter in order to change my tire to the spare. It is now 7:30 pm and of course no place is going to be open at this time, especially on a Sunday, and there is no one around to take me to go buy this thingamabob. So, in the end everything was okay because when I went to check the tire the next morning, it still had air in it so I was able to drive it to Les Schwab. They fixed whatever the problem was and I never had to buy the flipping whatever they were telling me to buy. Anyway, I just found the whole situation very comical and hilarious that Triple A was unable to change a tire. Oh, and whenever I have called them in California to have the spare put on, there was none of this mumbo jumbo about not having the right tools. Whatever, boys!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Sorry this is so very long. All of the details were necessary in order to explain this.

Kelli said...

Hahah this is funny. I think you should call Big Joe, or Ernesto for a date. I had that problem with my Z. I had to get a tire patched and had to go to the Nissan dealership to get the right kind of lock. But luckily I was in California at the time.

Sorry about that Cind, that stinks. But it's still pretty funny.

Lindsay said...

Ha ha! Yeah, that's pretty funny, little miss. That's what you get for having a fancy shmancy car in UT. Pretty funny about Triple A, too. Yeah, you'd think they'd be all reliable and handy. Apparently not.

Carly said...

What the heck, I thought I commented on here.

THat is so funny. You have a knack for getting yourself into these car predicaments up there in UT and then having Latino's bail you out. I don't know why Dad insisted of giving you that car to drive up there. Silly Dad