Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Doppelganger?

Alright, I'm just gonna say it. I was going to post an abbreviated version of my opinion on my facebook status but thought better of it because I'd rather not offend anyone. I'm becoming less and less a fan of these "doppelganger" pictures. True, I participated and offered up a picture of Kirsten Dunst in likeness to myself. Exhibit A:

But, I believe I have received this comparison enough times in my life by everyone for this picture to fit the true spirit of "doppelganger week" on facebook, where you post a photo of a celebrity that people have told you you look like, not that you hope you may look like. Dude, it looks like me, even I can admit it. However, may I argue that some people are being a tad generous with their supposed doppelgangers? I think so. This is not to say the actual individuals on facebook are ugly people, not at all. Many of them are attractive and everyone has their own beauty. But do I think you look like Megan Fox purely because you have dark, straight hair and green eyes? Sorry, no. When in fact I do see these unlikely comparisons, instead of thinking, oh yeah, that looks like her... most often I find myself thinking, well, I guess if I kind of squint really hard and maybe if I were wearing beer goggles.

I can understand and appreciate the "just for fun nature" that doppelganger week has taken on, and can play along as well as the next person. It's not that I'm bothered that these people would dare to think they look like a good-looking, although undoubtedly majorly photoshopped celebrity. But I have to chuckle a little bit (or sometimes a lot) to myself when I see some that are just so far off the radar. I mean, it's only fair, these people do offer up these comparisons of their own free choice for all of facebook world to see, right? If you're going to offer a celebrity that maybe/sorta looks like you, but in actuality points out that this celebrity is far better looking than you may ever be, you know what will happen, don't you? Public scrutiny will inevitably ensue, and that's obviously a gamble these people are willing to take.

So, to end my little rant, cheers to those with loads of self-confidence and who never assume the skeptical analysis of facebook friends like me. And Lindsay, I'll expect you to change your profile picture to Pamela Anderson, Carly to Gisele Bundchen, and Cindy to Heidi Klum.

6 comments:

Carly said...

hahaha. I was thinking more like Lady Gaga.

Yeah some people look NOTHING like their dopplegangers.

Lindsay said...

I agree. It's pretty funny. What I was thinking was have all these people seriously been told that they look like a certain celebrity?? Does everyone look like someone famous? I don't think so. They just wish.

When I was awake in the middle of night I thought of a good one I could put. If I find a good pic, I'll put it up.

But yeah, Kelli, you totally look like yours. It's unreal. And, Carly, come on, where's Leann Rhimes?

Carly said...

Lindsay are you going to put up a pic of Melissa Joan Hart?

LeAnn Rimes is ugly. Sorry.

Lindsay said...

Oh, yeah, Melissa Joan Hart. I guess I could see it. And I can't really see Leann for you, Carly. I just know you've been told that.

Cindy said...

hahaha I've been thinking the same thing. There's this one chick I went to high school with that thinks she looks like Kim Kardashian. Uhh.. not even close. And yeah I agree with you Lindsay that not EVERYONE looks like a celebrity! Pretty funny to see what some people wish they looked like though. Oh, but I think mine is pretty accurate?

Cindy said...

this blog is slowly, but surely failing. Lindsay, it's your turn to post. Is anyone out there?