Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eggy Toast

Thinking of things to make for your family can become really difficult, especially if you feel you are stuck in a rut.  Thinking of things that are healthy, tasty, easy AND cheap just adds to the degree of difficulty.  So what is a frazzled mom (or dad!) to do?

Well I was faced with that question last Friday night.  I didn't want to spend money and I didn't feel like heating up an already too toasty kitchen.  I opened my fridge and saw that I had plenty of eggs and bread and thought, "Hey..egg toast!"  Now, this is not a novel idea whatsoever but I was proud of myself for making a healthy, tasty dish in less than half an hour without going to the store for extra ingredients.  And this meal is versatile!  You can have it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dunch OR dinner.  

You are going to need:

4-8 eggs depending on the size of your family
loaf of bread (we use Ezekiel sprouted whole grain)
mayonnaise
mustard
salt
pepper
paprika
cheddar, muenster or mozzarella cheese


First Step:  Boil those eggs!

Photobucket 


Step #2: Peel the eggs and place them in a medium sized bowl.  Scoop some mayo, mustard onto the eggs.  Sprinkle on some salt, pepper and paprika and then mash together!

Step #4:  Place slices of bread on a cookie sheet and then set your oven to broil.  Put the cookie sheet of bread under the broiler for a few minutes until the pieces start looking like toast.  Take the bread out!

Step #5: Scoop the egg mixture evenly onto the pieces of toast.  Sprinkle on some cheese and place the sheet back under the broiler.  Watch carefully and take out when the cheese is nice and melty! Yes melty is a word.  I don't care what automatic spell check tells me.


After step #5 you should have yummy slices of egg toast!  Now here is where you can get creative with your toppings.  Maybe a little hot sauce?  Slices of avocados or tomatoes?  Or how 'bout some delicious guacamole?  I happened to have some leftover and let me tell you it was DELICIOUS!





Photobucket

Seems like a stingy meal right?  Well my hubby, who is a hearty eater, was filled after about 2.5 slices but it was so tasty he went for more!  ;)  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Mmm... I'm hungry.
But I am always hungry.
Seriously, that looks tasty. And easy. And not very time-consuming. All very important things.

Cindy said...

I've done something kind of like this. Super easy and deelish.

debora said...

Hmmm, sounds and looks familiar. The toasted Ezekiel bread and yummy guac are definitely delicious, healthy upgrades.

Lindsay said...

Yummy. A Crockett classic. But I never really thought to jazz things up with toppings. Looks even tastier. Maybe it would make my kids like it a little better, the stinkers.