Monday, February 28, 2011

Your guide to sushi lovin’

Disclaimer: none of these pictures are my own.  Thank you google images.

Fact: I love sushi.  Fact: I used to hate it.

I think I can speak for all of my sisters when I say, sushi is GOOD (except for maybe Lindsay, I think she’s still in the process of training her palate.)

Sushi is somewhat of a polarizing subject amongst those who love it and those who absolutely despise it.  “No WAY am I trying that stuff.  Raw fish is disgusting.”   Just try it, you’ll love it!  C’mon!  Don’t be a wuss!”  And so on and so forth.

So, let’s clear the air. 

First, WHY should you love sushi?

Because it’s healthy.  And delicious (okay we’ll get to that part later.) But really, it’s so GOOD for you.  And I’m not talking about the deep fried pieces of shrimp, I’m talking about RAW fish like salmon, yellowtail and tuna.  Packed with trace minerals, omega fatty acids, protein and enzymes, sushi is low in calories and saturated fat.  Right there should be all the reason you need to try it out!  The seaweed which accompanies most rolls, called Nori, is also chock full of vitamins and minerals with little caloric intake. Bonus: For people like me who have certain thyroid disorders, (hypothyroidism, Hashimotos) Nori is the perfect antidote because it contains quite a bit of iodine, which is crucial for optimal thyroid health.

Second, sushi is an acquired taste.

The first time I tried sushi I was in high school and almost gagged on the roll.  I thought, people actually EAT this crap?  No way.  Then, while dating my dear, sweet husband he introduced me to the chicken teriyaki roll or what I call, first base sushi. No fish in sight.  I thought, well this is tolerable.  Even good. Then I moved on to shrimp tempura.  I mean really, anything that’s fried is going to taste delicious.  Then I moved on to second base:

california

It’s called a California roll and it’s the gateway drug to sushi addiction.  Usually consisting of Krab, (yes with a K cuz it’s not REALLY crab, it’s actually Alaska Pollock) avocado and some type of crunchy vegetable like carrots or cucumber, it’s the tamest of sushi rolls.  Start with that.  If you don’t like it, that’s fine because once I reached Sushi Snob Status I stopped liking it too.  Go figure.  Also, that pink stuff on the side of the plate is ginger.  It’s for palate cleansing.  Technically you are supposed to eat it in between bites but I enjoy putting it directly onto whatever I’m eating.  The green stuff is wasabi (Japanese horseradish) and be forewarned: If you put too much of that stuff on your food, you will feel as if you just ingested the fire of a thousand suns.

Once you have mastered (or decided to skip) the California roll, I’d suggest moving up to third base.  Easy there, I’m talking about rolls which contain actual raw fish.  Like a spicy tuna roll:

Spicy tuna - cut roll

However if spicy isn’t your thing then by all means, ask for a regular ol’ tuna roll.  Now before you freak out and say,  But it’s going to taste so FISHY!   It’s not.  Trust me. Nobody in their right mind would willingly pay for and eat food that tastes like rotting fish flesh.  So nix that excuse from your repertoire.

If you love avocado you’re in luck.  Many sushi rolls have oodles and oodles of fresh, creamy avocado mixed throughout.  One of my favorites is the 911 roll:

911 rolls are regularly made with spicy tuna, cucumber and avocado.  Half of the roll is doused with a sweet eel sauce (EWWW EEL….oh calm down) and the other half with spicy sauce.  Mmmm…my mouth waters just thinking about it.

Once you’re ready and willing, it’s time to go HOME. Straight up raw fish over rice.  Nigiri.  Or maybe even Sashimi (thinly sliced raw fish.  That’s it.)

Nigiri is my favorite.  The sweetness and stickiness of the rice along with the soft, buttery texture of the fish is to.die.for. Wait, wait…hold the phone…what?  Raw fish isn’t RUBBERY?  It isn’t CHEWY?  Nope.  Well, at least it’s not if you go to a good, reputable sushi restaurant where you know the fish is actually fresh. Super fresh fish like the salmon, yellowtail and tuna I talked about earlier will almost feel like it melts in your mouth. 

NIGIRI_-_SUSHI.jpg (41755 bytes)

left is shrimp, top middle is salmon, right is tuna, bottom is yellowtail

So now that I’ve talked to you about he basics of sushi eating and abolished all of your excuses (except for the I’M DEATHLY ALLERGIC excuse) get to it.  Ask sushi lovers which restaurant is their favorite and work your way toward becoming a sushi elitist.  It’s a fun club,  one where we make fun of people who refuse to try any kind of fish and where we throw down sake like there’s no tomorrow.  Kidding.  Maybe.  Well, just about the sake part.

So please, join us up here. 

6 comments:

Nathaly Blalock said...

I'm cracking up over here realizing that I am a member of the Sushi Snob club, too. How funny that once you've become addicted, that California roll that used to be so good is just meh, lol.

Kelli said...

Alright, this is just not fair. How long has it been since I had really good sushi??? Too long. Dang pregnancy. (Not really, but I really can't wait to eat some.)

Nicole said...

You took the words out of my mouth! I would put myself in the sushi snob category, I only like the nigiri and the raw rolls, anything else is for sissys! :) I sort of cringe when someone orders a california roll or a shrimp tempura roll, though they are good but its just not worth it to me...go for the goods!

Lindsay said...

I'd say I'm definitely up to third base by now and coming round to home. I love those salmon and tuna rolls. And the 911 rolls. Except I didn't know about the eel sauce....:)

Great post!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

I can't believe you like this crap and not real food, like bacon. Issues girl, you have issues.

:p

Jenna said...

LOL, I love sushi! Your comment about wasabi made me laugh.