Sunday, July 11, 2010

Make Your Own Granola Bars...and My Soapbox on Kids' Snacks

Get ready people.  This blog is about to take off.  We are going to wow you with our amazing ideas, incredible wit and juicy secrets in our upcoming posts.

Okay, well, I'll leave that for you to judge.  But we'll try hard.  No pressure, my dear sisters.

Today I've got another recipe for you.  But before I share it, let me tell you something I've found a bit confusing since I entered parenthood.  First of all, kids need snacks.  No, that's not the confusing part.  What's confusing to me is the type of snacks that are marketed as "healthy"--and that parents actually give these snacks to their kids, thinking it's a good idea.

Exhibit A:


Fruit snacks

Let's look at the ingredient list on these babies: CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, APPLE PUREE CONCENTRATE, WATER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, GELATIN, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CITRIC ACID, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, COLOR ADDED, COCONUT OIL, CARNAUBA WAX, YELLOW #5, RED #40, SODIUM CITRATE, BLUE #1.

Does that sound like something that will fill your kid up with some good energy? At least apple puree concentrate is on there.  But corn syrup is the first ingredient?  Gross.  Now, I'm not totally opposed to fruit snacks.  I let my kids have them just as much as I let them have gummy bears, or Skittles.  Which I do, but they're not something I grab if we're going to the park and I know they'll get hungry.  Fruit snacks (unless they're an all-fruit variety) are not food--they're candy!

Exhibit B:


Granola bars

Okay, so granola bars are a little better than fruit snacks.  Almost all varieties have some whole grains.  But look at exactly what else this popular variety has:
GRANOLA (WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, BROWN SUGAR, CRISP RICE [RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, SALT, MALTED BARLEY EXTRACT], WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTONSEED OILS* WITH TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL WITH NATURAL TOCOPHEROL ADDED TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS, DRIED COCONUT, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SOY LECITHIN, CARAMEL COLOR, NONFAT DRY MILK), SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, COCOA BUTTER, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLA EXTRACT), CORN SYRUP, CRISP RICE (RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, BARLEY MALT, SALT), INVERT SUGAR, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, GLYCERIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL*. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SORBITOL, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, WATER, SOY LECITHIN, MOLASSES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, BHT (PRESERVATIVE), CITRIC ACID.

I'm seeing partially hydrogenated oils on there one too many times.  Now there are several organic, healthier versions out there.  But they're expensive.  And they don't always taste that great.  I figured out in the past couple years or so that I could make my own granola bars that taste delish, are cheap and not loaded with artificial junk.  My kids love them.  I just need to figure out a way to keep myself from eating them so that I have them on hand a little longer!

I've tried a few different recipes:

Granola Bars from Super Healthy Kids --this one is pretty good.  It has flour in it, and I've decided the non-flour versions are closer to the granola bars I'm used to.

Homemade Granola Bars from Kitchen Stewardship --I also like this one.  It involves toasting the oatmeal in the oven, mixing everything on the stove and then pressing into a pan.  It was tasty, but the last few times I made it, they came out thinner than I like.

And finally, the most recent one I've tried is my favorite so far.  I adapted it every so slightly.

Chewy Granola Bars (from Make and Takes) (with slight adaptations)

2 1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. crispy brown rice cereal
1/4 c. coconut
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla


Add all of the ingredients and mix together until combined. Press into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and score into bars. Let it set completely and then cut into bars. 

They were a hit in my household!  And this recipe is very adaptable.  If you don't like coconut (ahem, Carly), leave it out.  Add some regular chocolate chips if you like.  (I like white because they're less messy.)  Or maybe some peanut butter.  Or even pumpkin.  Lots of stuff you can do.  

Try 'em out!  And if you have kids you have to share with, good luck saving some for them!

6 comments:

Carly said...

Excellent post! I'm definitely going to make these granola bars. I totally agree on the "healthy" snacks. It's hard finding good snacks that aren't loaded with a bunch of chemicals.

Kelli said...

Mmm those look good! I'm honestly very picky about granola bars, I don't like many of the store bought ones at all. But I've always wanted to try the homemade ones! Great post!

debora said...

Very yummy-looking. I'll have to give these a try. Do you think the crowd around here would be appreciative? Definitely going to sub the white chocolate chips for semi-sweet.

Cindy said...

Yes, the crowd would be appreciative.
These look tasty.
Mom, make some. Now.

Unknown said...

I am excited to see this post. My kids love granola bars, but I have the same problem that you were talking about. I will be trying this out very soon!

Nathaly Blalock said...

Thanks for this recipe! I have to make a lot of my 4 year old's snacks from scratch because of his food allergies, and this recipe was adaptable and made for some very yummy allergy-free granola bars! I also made it just like you posted it for a playgroup and it was a hit.

Btw, I'm friends with Carly, not a creepy stalker. :)