Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lentils

So since we are all on the same page with trying to eat three healthy meals a day I thought we could give each other some inspiration. Cue the lentils:



Sadly I have never cooked with lentils in my life. But apparently they are one of the "superfoods."

After picking up some pre cooked lentils from Trader Joe's I decided I needed to do something with them. They had just been sitting in my fridge. You can also buy them dried; they cook pretty quickly.

So I decided to use them in place of taco meat (turkey, beef). I dumped them in a pan, heated them up and added some salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, chili powder and some shredded Mexican Cheese. I made some homemade tortillas to go along with it and you guys, this dinner was DELISH! Lentils are really flavorful and when cooked they are tender and add a great texture. I put some tomatoes, bit of cilantro, avocado and spinach leaves in the "burritos" and it was yummy. Definitely going to be buying those lentils again!




10 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yum, that sounds really good! Much better than the dinner I had. I've put lentils in soup a couple of times in the past but I never thought to use them like that. I'll have to now!

Good post.

Sherri said...

I hope you guys don't mind others following along...this is too much fun!

Lindsay said...

We don't mind! Follow along!

debora said...

I'm reading this post while eating swiss dark chocolate with hazelnuts. Obviously I'm doing so well with the chocolate thing. It's too dang hard!
you guys are doing great! Keep it up!

Cindy said...

Not going to lie... the cravings are starting to get to me. I need chocolate. Now. I am so close to giving in, but I will not. I am strong. I can do it.

Carly said...

I AM GOING TO BEAT YOU ALL. YOU ARE ALL LOSERS. I AM SO HARDCORE AT THIS COMPETITION. YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT.

Cindy said...

LOL.

Lindsay said...

All right, so going sugar free feels good and all, but let me just say that frozen Mississippi Mud Cake tastes DANG good.

Carly said...

haha Lindz, I bet it does. By the way I was obviously kidding in my previous post. Cindy told me that you and her were talking about how competitive I was.

Made cookies today but didn't really want them that badly. I think this sugar free stuff is starting to get to me.

Lindsay said...

Whatever, you were totally serious. You are SO hardcore, it's not even funny. Be careful, though, you're going DOWWWNN!