Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pregnancy Essentials

So.  In case you other 5 readers who aren't related to me haven't caught on yet, I, one of your esteemed blog authors, am pregnant.  Very pregnant.  In fact, my due date was last Tuesday.  And so far, no action on the labor front.  Such is pregnancy, I guess.  But as I not-so-patiently wait for my pregnancy to come to an end (which it surely must, right??), I've thought back to a few things that have really helped my body cope with the never-ending changes of pregnancy.  Now, seeing as this is my first, maybe these are all obvious to some of you more experienced mothers out there, but hopefully some of the things on my list will help make pregnancy a little more comfortable for someone.  Especially when you are 49 weeks pregnant... like me.



1. L'Occitane Verbena Foaming Bath Knowing my affinity for baths as well as all things lemon flavored/scented, my sweet husband got me this bath gel for Christmas.  And while I'm sure that he had a little help from the saleswoman at the beauty store, it was the perfect gift because oh.my.gosh. this stuff smells like heaven.  Seriously.  As it turned out, I have had to deal with really bad RLS this last trimester, and pretty much the only thing that calms my muscles and helps me sleep is a warm bath before bed, and this bath gel just makes those baths that much more enjoyable.  

2. Nike Free Run+ Now, I know people are pretty particular about their running shoes, especially if you run a lot, and I can't attest to these being amazing running shoes yet, because well, I haven't had a chance to actually run in them yet.  But I can tell you, these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.  They have some crazy technology where they bend with your foot a lot while still providing a lot of support, and with all the cushioning they feel sort of like slippers.  I've taken to wearing them everywhere, especially during the last couple weeks when I can't stand wearing my other shoes for more than 10 minutes.  And I've definitely given them some major mileage the past few days with all the walking I've been doing in trying to get this baby out.  

3. Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm Ahhh... who doesn't love Burt's?  I've been a dedicated fan for many years, and it's safe to say I'm a tad bit snobbish towards other chap-sticks.  I'm also a tad bit obsessed with Burt's (just the classic minty lib balm variety, not the tinted balm or lipgloss or anything else) - I always keep one in my car, on my nightstand, and in my purse at all times.  And people didn't tell me how much I would need chap-stick during pregnancy - my lips are constantly chapped.  And since I live quite literally at sea-level, I'm not chalking it up to "dry winter air".  Anyways, I heart Burt's Bees.  Pregnant or not. 

4. Exercise Ball This isn't actually the one I have, I just chose this one for it's pretty pink color.  But many are the benefits of a large exercise ball like this one for pregnant women.  Definitely more comfortable than sitting on a chair or even the couch, my exercise ball has provided me a lot of relief during my entire pregnancy, and is also great for laboring mothers (or so I hear).  Just google "exercise ball and pregnancy" and you'll find lots about how great they are.  The size of the one you get depends on your height, but I think for average-height women you want one that is 65cm.  

5.  Microwavable Heating Pad  A heating pad has been so great for the little aches and pains of muscles during pregnancy, and again, is supposed to be great during labor, too.  You can find them lots of places, but seriously, they are so easy to make and way cheaper to do it that way.  I made mine and they are pretty hard to screw up, but if you have a sewing phobia (*ahem* Lindsay and Carly), they also sell cute ones in lots of places on the interent.  This one is from Etsy.  Another fun fact - you can put them in the freezer and use them as a cold-pack, too.  


So there you have it!  Some pregnancy essentials I'm sure glad I had during this pregnancy.  Now, let's hear what you couldn't live without during your pregnancy - I'm curious to know.  Also, I need to have something fun to read to distract me from dwelling on the absence of my labor.  So let's hear it, people - what did you love during pregnancy?  


3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Hey, way to go with the post. Carly and I were thinking it might not happen, but, well, your little man kindly made that possible for you.

I also love my exercise ball and my microwavable heating pad (my mission president's wife made it--good thing, because, yes, the thought of making one scares me). And I had lots of baths. That bath gel sounds heavenly. I used all three of those things during labor.

I also love my body pillow. I don't normally sleep with it, but it is the only thing that helps me out when I'm huge.

Carly said...

I was going to say. BODY PILLOW. Couldn't sleep without it.

And yes I sat on the exercise ball all the time during M's pregnancy. I think it helped with her delivery. Or so I'd like to think.

Pedicures are also a pregnancy essential.

Nathaly Blalock said...

Ditto on the body pillow. But I became addicted to it and now I can't sleep without it, even when I'm not pregnant. My husband calls it "Number 3". He hates it.

I always feel a little like a stalker when I comment on a post not written by Carly (since I only know Carly and not the other cute sisters)!