Tuesday, October 5, 2010

BookFace



                      Oh my dear Facebook.  How I love thee, let me count the ways:
  1. I love knowing random, useless tidbits about friends and family members.  No really, I do.  Makes me feel closer, connected.
  2. I love looking at updated pictures, profiles and information.
  3. I love seeing things I have in common with others, such as favorite T.V. shows, places to shop, eat, etc.
  4. I love to stalk.  There.  I said it.
  5. I love that I can ask for advice or tips and within seconds I receive several responses, personal experiences, reviews, pros, cons.  Love that a lot!
  6. I love to see funny news stories, recipes, heart-warming messages all in one spot!
  7. The Hide button.  Best most useful addition to FB.  Period.
  8. Facebook is a fabulous way to advertise your business or to network.
  9. Coming from a huge family I appreciate the instant communication.  For example my brother broke his leg a few weeks ago and I put it on FB.  All my siblings who live away from home instantly knew and were thus not "out of the loop" which is a common complaint in families with numerous children.
  10. Did I mention the Hide button?
                   BUT.....my dear Facebook, there are some things I really don't love....
  1. Ambiguous status updates.  Otherwise known as "Vaguebooking" (as my sister told me)  exhibit A:{Joe Schmoe now has no right arm.}  Whoa whoa whoa..WHAT?! Joe!  Please do tell!  What happened?  How in the heck? ARGH!!! And then hair-pulling soon follows.  If you are going to post it, explain it, if you don't want to explain then DON'T POST IT! 
  2. TMI updates.  I'm not talking about baby poop or vomit or anything like that because as a mother I can commiserate and I find those updates amusing.  I am talking about quite literally...TOO MUCH INFORMATION.  I don't need to know what you had for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dunch and dinner.  I really, really don't.  I also don't need to know what your cat had for said meals.  Actually, I don't care about your pets at all, unless it's a funny story that I will truly appreciate, like how your dog ate your cat.  That's funny.
  3. Shout outs for one person on status updates.  Exhibit B: { Lisa Smisha JENNY I WILL MEET YOU AT BURGER KING TOMORROW AT 11!}  Ummmm......k.  There are private messages and personal pages for that sorta thing.  Figure it out.
  4. Updates that so obviously exclude other people.  No not like #3.  I'm talking about, "Oh my gosh best dinner date ever with the best friends ever, Joe, Trish, Nate, Ashley!"  Especially when you know you have friends that live nearby or are in your ward or whatever that will probably be hurt by not being invited.  I'm not saying this has happened to me but I have seen it happen to other people.  Have some tact facebookers.  This ain't high school anymore.
  5.  Fighting on facebook.  'Nuff said.
  6.  Mass facebook updates.  "Post this on your wall if you are a mother who loves her children." Barf.  I thought the days of chain emails and letters were long gone.  Apparently not.
  7.  Friend requests from people in high school that I was never friends with before.  Pretty sure you just want to stalk my pictures.  Weirdo.  And pretend like you didn't just read #4 of my pro list.
  8. Communicating with your spouse via Facebook (publicly of course).  "Honey how are you?  I love you so much.  Hope you are having a great day."  Double barf.
  9. Aggressive, rude or embellished political status updates.  It's fine to be political, but compassion and understanding go a LONG way.  So does tact.
  10. Last but not least, naked pictures of your kids.  It's the internet folks.  You post it, it's out there.  For everyone.  Anywhere.  Anytime.  Catch my drift?
What bugs you?

4 comments:

Cindy said...

umm pretty sure I have done a couple of those things on the don't love list.
Yikes.

Lindsay said...

Ha ha, those are some good ones. Yeah, I really don't like those mass updates. So impersonal and cheesy--if you really love your kids/sisters/husband etc., then use your own words.

And yes, "vaguebooking" is annoying. I don't like ones like, "Hmmm" or "I wonder...". Please.

I also don't updates that are always at least a whole paragraph. Every now and then, it's fine, but every time? Try to be a little more brief.

And, I have one friend who WRITES IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME. And uses multiple exclamation points, all the time. ANNOYING!!!!!! She'll write "I'M IN IDAHO AGAIN!!!!!! WHO WANT TO SEE ME???!!!!!!" Ughh. If you're yelling like that, I certainly don't want to see you.

And yeah, people who really don't know you at all who request to be your friend. It's especially annoying when it's like a spouse of a high school acquaintance who is just trying to make more connections to market his online business. Again, ugh. Or some random dude from the stake you grew up in who knows a couple of your siblings. No, I'm not thinking of anyone in particular. :)

Nen said...

oh my goodness, the spouses posting love notes to eachother it SO TRUE! Just the other day, my cousin posted about having a makeout dream with her husband and how much she misses him. YUCK, then her dad and sister started commenting TMI underneath it. Good grief. I have another friend whose husband is constantly posting as his status or on her page how much he loves her and misses her and wants to snuggle with her. I HATE that!!!!!!

Emili said...

Where's the "LIKE" button? Now I have to go check my pics to make sure I didn't post any naked pictures of my children.